MAE 468 Aerospace Systems Design
Written Assignment #1
Program Objectives Essay
In order to comply with the new Engineering Criteria (EC2000) set forth
by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET), the department has
adopted a set of Program Objectives and outcomes that we claim are met by our graduating
seniors. For the Aerospace Engineering Program these are stated as:
Our Graduates will have the ability to implement the product realization process.
- Our Graduates will be technically competent.
- Graduates are able to apply basic mathematics and science fundamentals to analyze and
design engineering systems
- Graduates are able to model a variety of physical systems and use the models to predict
- Graduates are able to design and conduct experiments
- Graduates are exposed to and know how to use modern tools in analysis and design of
Graduates are able to design components and systems appropriate for the field of
Graduates are cognizant of life-cycle issues and how they relate to the design process
Graduates have knowledge of design for manufacturing issues
Our Graduates will be able to communicate effectively.
Graduates can plan, prepare, deliver and assess oral presentations
Graduates can plan, prepare, write and assess written reports
Graduates can prepare and maintain documentation of the design process
Our Graduates will be effective in today's work environment.
Graduates are able to work in cross-functional teams
Graduates understand contemporary and societal issues in their work
Graduates exhibit life-long learning attitudes and abilities
Graduates are sensitive to ethical and professional issues
Prepare a 15003000 word essay to address the following:
- Select at least one outcome from each of the four major Program Objective categories.
For each of these, describe how this outcome was met during your undergraduate career at
ASU. Give specific examples that would convince an outside assessor that you have met
- Describe any outcomes in the list that you feel were not (or not adequately) covered.
- Describe any additional outcomes that you feel should be on the list.
Please complete this assignment on your own. Some discussion with peers
is allowable, but please limit collaboration to a minimum.
Please be assured that I am looking for an honest appraisal. As long as
your views are substantiated, there will be no penalty for criticism. However, you must
write an organized essay in correct, formal, standard English with no spelling or grammar